Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Steam Engine No. 844

School was out, and the sun was already too warm for a spring day in Missouri. The steam train was coming through town, and we were going to see it!

Our first stop was the Fudge Shoppe on Main Street for a scoop of ice cream each to snack on. We made our way down towards the train station, found a spot on the old platform, and settled in for the train to arrive.

My 3 boys, 2 nieces, and 1 me.











Steam engine No. 844 was on its way to Shiloh, Arkansas in celebration of the 150th anniversary of the Civil War. The train pulled cars filled with Civil War reenactors, as well as a load of war cannons. The tracks were buzzing with train enthusiasts of all ages, and the policemen were on their toes, keeping everyone safe.

Steam engine No. 844 in bokeh.

No one was allowed to wander the tracks, so capturing the engine straight on had to be done while walking...which wasn't too easy...but the third shot hit it. I must add that I was also holding my 4 year old's hand and herding my 6 and 8 year old at the same time as taking this shot.

The engine building up steam before rolling down the track.

As soon as we had crossed the track, the crossing lights flashed, and the bars came down. The whistle stop was over, and the steam engine had to be on its way.

The American flag waving proudly in the sunlight as the engine passes by.
Our afternoon excursion was over, and we headed back up to Main Street to our vehicle. I hadn't put away my camera yet, and I spied the barber shop's door open as we were passing by. Feeling brave, I peeked my head in and asked if I could snap a photo. The barber and the gentleman obliged me.

A barber and a gentleman.

No comments:

Post a Comment